TRUCK WONT START, HOWLING SOUND COMING FROM BETWEEN TRANSMISSION AND TRANSFER CASE

1989 Ford F-150

codyb17

July, 31, 2012 AT 1:34 PM

My truck has had problems starting since I got it, the first time I turn the key it makes a thump sound, and the second time it usually starts up fine. Lately its been getting worse, and when it does start up it has trouble. Now it wont start at all, when I turn the key I can hear something spinning, I checked it out and the sound is coming from between the transmission and the transfer case. I've taken an automotive class but I dont know what could've happened.

July, 31, 2012 AT 2:33 PM

You mean the engine is cranking with spinning noise?

I can't tie up any noise between the transmission and transfer case with anything that works when ignition is turned to crank.

It should be the starter motor and it could have a bad pinion gear or you have a bad flywheel ring gear.

codyb17

July, 31, 2012 AT 2:37 PM

The engine isn't cranking, the belts not moving, nothing, the only thing when I turn the key is that noise, I checked, and the flywheel doesnt turn when I try to start it either

July, 31, 2012 AT 2:58 PM

Yes, that means the starter is freewheeling. You would need to remove the starter to check if the starter gear is bad or you could have missing/worn tooths on the flywheel ring gear.

codyb17

July, 31, 2012 AT 4:15 PM

Well I have the starter off and it looks like the teeth on both the starter and the flywheel(or at least the section I can see) are good, how would I check if the starter gear is bad?

July, 31, 2012 AT 4:17 PM

The starter gear should turn one way wihout the shaft turning. If you turn it the other way, it should hold the shaft as the one way clutch grips it.

codyb17

July, 31, 2012 AT 4:21 PM

So I should only be able to turn the teeth one direction? Because I can turn it both ways

July, 31, 2012 AT 4:27 PM

That means the one way clutch has failed.

codyb17

July, 31, 2012 AT 4:28 PM

So I need a new starter? Or can I just get a new clutch or something for it?

July, 31, 2012 AT 4:37 PM

There are starter gears available separately. Disassemble the starter and check the carbon brushes, if they are running low, might as well make a complete unit replacement.

codyb17

July, 31, 2012 AT 4:53 PM

Well I dont know if it was because of the starter or something else but the first time I turned the key it would make kind of a thump sound and that was it, but the second time it would start up fine. Do you think it was the starter binding up on something

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement