Switch Atuator

DILL-11
  • 1989 FORD F-150
How much labor time and cost to replace the switch actuator on a 89 ford f-150?
Sunday, February 27th, 2011 AT 1:50 PM

ERNEST CLARK
I have to know what switch you are referring to.
Sunday, February 27th, 2011 AT 2:09 PM
DILL-11
I am referrind to the ignition switch
Monday, February 28th, 2011 AT 1:30 AM
ERNEST CLARK
Removal
Disconnect the battery ground cable.
Remove steering column shroud and lower the steering column. Refer to Steering Column: Service and Repair: Removal/Installation.
Disconnect the switch wiring at the multiple plug.
Remove the two nuts that retain the switch to the steering column.
LIFT the switch VERTICALLY UPWARD to disengage the actuator rod from the switch and remove switch.
Installation
When installing the ignition switch, both the locking mechanism at the top of the column and the switch itself must be in LOCK position for correct adjustment. To hold the mechanical parts of the column in LOCK position, move the shift lever into PARK (with automatic transmissions) or REVERSE (with manual transmissions), turn the key to LOCK position, and remove the key. New replacement switches, when received, are already pinned in LOCK position by a metal shipping pin inserted in a locking hole on the side of the switch.
Engage the actuator rod in the switch. Must be inserted in the slot of the sliding, black carrier.
Position the switch on the column and install the retaining nuts, but do not tighten them.
Move the switch UP and DOWN along the column to locate the mid-position of rod lash. Tighten the two ignition switch retaining nuts (TOP NUT FIRST to minimize rod binding) to 4.51-7.34 N.M(40-65 in-lb).
Remove the lockpin. Connect the battery cable, and check for proper start in PARK or NEUTRAL. Also, ensure the start circuit cannot be actuated in the DRIVE and REVERSE position and that the engine will shut off in either DRIVE, REVERSE or NEUTRAL. If the engine will not shut off in the above positions then the switch is NOT adjusted properly.
The switch will have to be re-adjusted. Refer to Ignition Switch: Adjustments.
Raise the steering column into position at instrument panel. Refer to Steering Column: Service and Repair: Removal/Installation.
Confirm that accessories are deactivated with ignition switch in OFF position, and that accessories are operable with switch in RUN position.
Monday, February 28th, 2011 AT 3:43 AM
DILL-11
No I am talking about how do I replace the actuator that hooks to the rod?
Monday, February 28th, 2011 AT 1:26 PM
ERNEST CLARK
The ignition switch is electronic. When you turn the key it closes electrical contacts.
If you are referring to something else, you have to be more specific.
-1
Monday, February 28th, 2011 AT 1:35 PM
DILL-11
Want to no how to replace the actuator and cost and labor time?
+1
Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 AT 12:00 AM