WHAT CAN I DUE TO LOWER N0X EMISSIONS?

• jumpdogbark
  • 1989 Ford Escort

Recently failed the emissions test only on the N0x. Readings were 5.2171 limits were 4.0000. HC was 1.8484 limits 2.0000 so its running a high. CO was 11.1531 limits 20.0000.

Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 AT 12:05 AM

• djcl
  • 786 posts

The egr will affect hi nox also a week cat will affect it. Check and see if the egr is working is the check engine light on? If so pull codes

Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 AT 12:14 AM
  • jumpdogbark

TX's The check engine light is not on. Will check the EGR and Cat. Thinking since the HC was high the cat may be going out too. Have new oxigen sensor and seals. Really can't drop too much money in it.

Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 AT 12:34 AM
  • djcl
  • 786 posts

Let me know how you make out with it

Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 AT 12:40 AM
  • jumpdogbark

Finally got the egr valve changed and it still failed. Down to 4.8553 so almost there. The cat is susposedly good it "passed" dianostics. Any other ideas to get it the rest of the way there?

Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 9:01 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

MAYBE A FULL 100% TUNE UP?

. OR JUST CATCH UP ON YOUR SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE (BEST WAY IS READ AND ADHERE TO THAT SECTION, IN A REPAIR MANUAL (ABOUT $30)

THE BETTER OPTIONS ARE: 1) OBTAIN AN OLDER VEHICLE (OF YOUR LIKINGS) THAT IS NO LONGER REQUIRED TO TAKE THE TESTS. YOU'LL THEN HAVE A HEAD TURNING CLASSIC, EZ TO DIAGNOSE/REPAIR, EVEN A FULL RESTORATION COULD BE CHEAPER THAN A "NEW COMPLICATED OVER ENGINEERED RIG" (MINE ARE 35 AND 66 YEARS YOUNG, BOTH ARE DAILY DRIVERS)

DON'T LIKE THEM SEAT BELTS. IF THE CAR DID NOT HAVE ANY ORIGINALLY FROM THE FACTORY(AROUND 1963), YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO HAVE/ WEAR 'EM. IF YOU REALLY DESIRE AN AIRBAG, FIND AND LET MY EX-WIFE RIDE WITH YOU!

2) MOVE TO A STATE LIKE MINE---AIN'T NONE OF THAT TESTING!

GOSH, I GIVE REALLY GOOD OPTIONS!

Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 10:15 PM
  • djcl
  • 786 posts

I love that reply

Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 AT 7:25 AM