DISTRIBUTOR IN CHEV 350 PU

1989 Chevrolet Truck

reinhardt

April, 16, 2011 AT 3:11 PM

Why can I not get the distributor back in - I have tried turning engine over which has always worked

Distributor Popping

April, 16, 2011 AT 3:53 PM

I have used a long screwdriver to move that gear a little. If you crank engine with distributor out, you need to make sure the number one piston is on tdc of compression stroke.

Wrenchtech

April, 16, 2011 AT 4:10 PM

You're trying to align both the distributor gear and the oil pump shaft at the same time. Once you get it started in the correct position, hold a pressure down on it while someone else bumps the starter. Make sure your in the right position first though.

reinhardt

April, 16, 2011 AT 4:47 PM

I have done both of those things - would there be any other reason it won't go in

reinhardt

April, 16, 2011 AT 6:00 PM

Have you ever had an experience where the distributor wouldn't go in for any other reason? This is the first time I have ever had this particular problem. I feel like I am missing something but for the life of me I can't see why it won't go.

April, 16, 2011 AT 6:34 PM

I haven't had a problem with getting the dist started. I have had a problem with getting them all the way down. They go after a bit. On this dist, it doesn't matter how you stab it. You don't have to line up marks for dist body or rotor. As long as the primary wires and secondary wires will reach, it will work. If the #1 piston is on top dead center of compression stroke, which ever spark plug tower the rotor is pointing at, is the new #1, then follow the firing order around the cap. You may have to swap some plug wires because of length, it doesn't matter. I have had problems with trying to get all my marks lined up at once. On older chevys, I stopped worring about the marks, I just stab it, then work out the firing order.

Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8