89 1/2 TON SUB 4X4 5.7 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WONT COME ON

1989 Chevrolet Suburban

csmo

November, 27, 2011 AT 4:50 AM

Bulb was burned out. Replaced with 4x4 indicator bulb and it still dont come on. One side of socket does get power. Otherside does not but if I put my test light on it then bulb comes on. Any ideas?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 27, 2011 AT 4:55 AM

Check the socket. It may be damaged, corroded.

csmo

November, 27, 2011 AT 5:08 AM

Socket is good. If put in other area works fine

Jacobandnickolas

November, 27, 2011 AT 5:16 AM

If there is power to the socket, then the ground needs to be missing. Otherwise the light would have to come on.

csmo

November, 28, 2011 AT 3:54 AM

Ok, there is two wires from the instrument harness cluster going to the socket. Pink/white & brown/white. Pink/white seems to be hot all the time. So that makes brown/white the ground? But if I ground that wont the light stay on and not switch off after motor starts? And thank you very much for the help!

Jacobandnickolas

November, 28, 2011 AT 4:38 AM

That would make sense. There is a chance the hot wire is on because the light should be on. It does go off when you turn the key off, correct?

csmo

November, 30, 2011 AT 4:16 AM

Well the light dont come on at all except if I ground out the brown/white wire with my test light.I have not tried turning the key off when it is grounded though. The brown/white wire goes to the ECM according to my schematics, but if im understanding right its just a ground and wont cause a problem with the ECM. Another question, I have low fuel pressure, would a relay cause that or is the problem at the pump?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 30, 2011 AT 5:05 AM

You would have to check voltage to the pump.