CLUNKING NOISE WHEN TURNING AND HITTING THE BRAKES AT SLOW SPEEDS

• frisbee30
  • 1989 Chevrolet S-10

Only happens during turns and when brakes are pressed. Jacked it up no play in wheel from top to bottom but lots of play from left to right. No excessive wear on tire tread. Could it b the tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings?

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 12:57 AM

• billymac

Yes left to rigt is worn tie rods

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 12:59 AM
  • frisbee30

Would the tie rods cause the clunking noise when the tires are straight and the brakes are applied?

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:04 AM
  • billymac

Yes they can clunk when you apply the brakes the tie rods move just like if you turned the wheel. Balljoints should be checked also

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:10 AM
  • frisbee30

The truck has no power steering. Should I have locked the steering wheel when I jacked it up and moved the tires. Only asking because I noticed movement clear into the center link and idler arm.

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:40 AM
  • billymac

Well the easiest way is to raise front wheels have an assistant move the steer wheel just the amount of the play back and forth and you watch and see which parts are moving. And the balljoints use a large prybar between the control arm and ball joint watch for any movement there

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:46 AM