Hot Rotors

SHANE BENDERT
  • 1989 CHEVROLET BLAZER

Hey guys-
after a 10 mile drive the front rotors are burning hot. The left side is worse than the right. The calipers, pads, rotors, and rubber hose are relatively new (previous owner). I took apart the left side and the caliper easily moves out (when applying the brakes), but when I try to compress the caliper piston with a C-Clamp it is really difficult. What do you think?
'89 S-10 Blazer

Saturday, March 5th, 2011 AT 8:59 PM

Crack the bleeder screws open, then see if you can push the pistons in. If you can, try the same thing by cracking the steel lines at the master cylinder.

Saturday, March 5th, 2011 AT 9:13 PM
WRENCHTECH

I would be pretty suspicious why all that stuff was changed. This has the symptoms of a contaminated system. Run the test that Caradiodoc suggested. I'm suspecting you will find a bad master too and maybe rear problems at a later date.

Saturday, March 5th, 2011 AT 9:36 PM

I was thinkin' fluid contamination too but didn't want to bring that up yet as it can really ruin a guy's day.

Happy Saturday, Wrenchtech

Saturday, March 5th, 2011 AT 10:00 PM
WRENCHTECH

LOL. It is what it is.
Thanks Doc

Saturday, March 5th, 2011 AT 10:56 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Check the rod that pushes the master cylinder plunger from the power brake booster, it sounds like it is too far out and not allowing the brake master to fully release. Please let me know, Thanks for using 2carpros. Com

Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 5:01 AM
SHANE BENDERT

With a C-Clamp appying pressure on the Left side Caliper piston I cracked the front brake line at the Master Cylinder and only a small amount of fluid came out (minimal pressure). I then cracked the bleeder screw on the Caliper and again only a little fluid came out. I removede the Caliper and a the Piston boot has a visable hole about 1mm diameter. I looked under the boot and there is evidence of corrosion. I replaced both Calipers ($13 each at Murray's Auto). The pedal isn't as firm as I would like it, but bleeding brakes by yourself isn't the easiest. I'll let you now if this solves the problem. FYI- the front brakes definately lock up much faster than the rear. Thanks for the help.

Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 11:05 PM
WRENCHTECH

So much for the new calipers you said you had.

Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 11:08 PM
DPOWELL48
  • 2000 CHEVROLET BLAZER
  • MERGED

Do I have to clean new brake rotors before using them

Monday, December 19th, 2016 AT 4:13 PM
FIXITMR
  • MERGED

Is it that big a job? But I have to admit, I dont usually do it.

Monday, December 19th, 2016 AT 4:13 PM
DPOWELL48
  • MERGED

Thank you fixitmr! I agree it is not that big of a job. I would like to know if it is true that not cleaning new rotors will cause lot of white smoke as I was told if the new rotors are not cleaned because of the film that is on the new rotors to protect them.

Monday, December 19th, 2016 AT 4:13 PM