MY A/C SYSTEM WILL NOT WORK AFTER A RECHARGE OF THE SYSTEM.

• GordonWayne
  • 1989 Buick Riviera

My touchscreen says that my A/C compressor has been disengaged due to low coolant level. I had a tech add coolant into the system, but the compressor will not start again. Is there any way I can reset the system so that the coolant level will indicateb that the level has been brought up to capacity or does the compressor supposed to recognise this? Is it possible that the compressor is faulty?

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 AT 3:37 AM

• saturntech9

There is also a pressure switch that tells the pressure of the system. What is the pressure in the system?Do you have any codes in the computer?

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 AT 4:48 AM
  • GordonWayne

This car is pre code, but it does have a touch screen. I can ask the tech what the pressure was on the system. Would you know where that switch would be found?

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 AT 9:55 AM
  • Wrenchtech

Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes to clear the code and it will start but you have to get it filled pretty quick or it will set the code and shut down again.

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 AT 12:48 PM
  • saturntech9

You do have codes on your car its a obd1 system.I posted how to get any ac codes you have let me know what the code numbers are?ALso the pressure switch would be on the ac line to measure pressure. But lets see what codes you have first.

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 AT 4:06 PM
  • Wrenchtech

The ATC system will set a low refrigerant code and shut the compressor off when it starts short cycling, just like the Caddy. You just have to clear to code to charge it. The compressor will kick back in then.

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 AT 4:57 PM
  • saturntech9

It says you can select the code reset test type on the screen then it will say codes clear then you can see if it works. Thanks for your info wrenchtech.

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 AT 5:11 PM
  • Wrenchtech

Disconnecting the battery is much easier I find.

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 AT 5:19 PM