Here's the complete procedure. You should be able to lift it out, provided you removed all the hoses and retaining ring. The pump is only siting on mounting studs on the bottom to keep the pump stable while inside the tank. Try wiggling it as you pull up on it.
1. Slowly and carefully loosen the fuel hose connection to the cold start valve to relieve residual fuel pressure. Cover with a clean rag when doing so to avoid spraying fuel.
Exploded View Fuel Tank And Fuel Pump Assembly
2. Remove trunk mat for access to fuel gauge sending unit access cover.
3. Remove harness connector from fuel gauge sending unit and lay access cover and wiring harness to one side.
Supply Line, Return Line, And Vent Hose Removal
4. Disconnect the fuel supply line, fuel return line and vent hose, from the top or the fuel gauge sending unit.
Removing Retaining Sleeve With Special Tool
5. Using special tool #VAG-3087 or suitable replacement, remove retaining sleeve and pull fuel gauge sending unit out of tank.
6. Disconnect fuel hose from underside of fuel gauge sending unit, detach electrical connection from fuel pump, and remove gravity valve.
7. Remove fuel pump with mounting bracket by pulling straight up on pump housing, freeing bracket from mounting studs on bottom of fuel tank.
Fuel Pump Assembly
8. Remove mounting bracket, retaining sleeve, fuel supply line, and fuel pump check valve, from fuel pump. Use these parts on new pump assembly.
9. Reverse procedure for reassembly.
NOTE: Replace copper sealing rings at fuel supply line banjo fittings with new sealing rings.
September, 26, 2012 AT 5:52 PM
We have same car - and cannot figure out how to remove the cover in the trunk, in order to get to the fuel pump. Please send link to "Exploded View Fuel Tank And Fuel Pump Assembly" mentioned above - and please tell us how to remove cover. Thx