WAGON LE WILL NOT STAY RUNNING

1988 Toyota Van

dicekoff

March, 2, 2011 AT 5:21 PM

My 1988 toyota van wagon will start and run for about 3 to 5 seconds and then dies. I have replaced the dist. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, I've tested the fuel pump to see if it was pumping fuel or not and it is working but I don't know if it is getting the proper pressure to the fuel rail for the injectors or not? About a month ago the van was running good as ever and then it started cutting out driveing down the road and then it would just die. As long as I would let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes it would run again and not die out. It seams as the time progressed the van would run for a shorter amount of time everytime I would start it. After I put the tune up on it the van acted like nothing was wrong then it started this crap! I have been fighting this thing for ever now someone please help!

March, 2, 2011 AT 5:35 PM

Check/monitor the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure tester designed for your fuel system if its within specs-start here

dicekoff

March, 2, 2011 AT 5:43 PM

Ok now say that the fuel is within specs would a faulty injector be to blame? Also I checked the codes and all I got was a no idl signal and no rpm signal. Which is true if the engine won't run longer then 5 seconds. What else would I need to check?

March, 2, 2011 AT 5:54 PM

Check and test the coil, distributor pick-up coil and have the igniter tested-

Dicekoff

March, 22, 2011 AT 2:31 AM

Ok so I had the igniter tested and it was showing to be fine and I repalced the distributor, coil, pick-up coil. And I'm still haveing the same problems the van will start and run for a total of 5 seconds or less and then die. What else could it be? Is there any kind of crank sensor or cam shaft sensor? And where would they b located

March, 22, 2011 AT 2:46 AM

Do this block the airflow meter vane flap wide open and start the van and see what happens

Dicekoff

March, 22, 2011 AT 4:37 AM

K so I blocked the air flow meter flap wide open and started the van and the same thing happened it starts and then dies in 5 seconds or less and does the same thing everytime I try to start it.

March, 22, 2011 AT 4:40 AM

If its still doing it-recheck the fuel pressure and get back with the readings

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i