98 OLDS WON'T START.

1988 Oldsmobile Intrigue

AdrianEdmonds

August, 17, 2011 AT 6:54 PM

Looking for help for a 98 Olds Intrigue. I noted some questions posted but noticed some random responses. I do not want to just replace items until I narrow down what the problem might be.

Heres the problem, The car won't start. It will crank, the starter motor works. It seems not to spark. I tried to jump the car. Same results. All lights on dash fire up then off as normal. I have to wait for the security light to stop blinking(10 minute reset), but the battery has been disconnected to clean, disconnected again to check, etc. Have to reset later. Clicking under dash (assuming passlock trigged). BCM Fuses good, all fuses appear good.

saturntech9

August, 17, 2011 AT 7:04 PM

So have you checked for spark when it won't start?Are you sure you have a 1988 car?Because the earlier gm factory security systems used starter disable and the later gm cars disable the fuel injector pluse to keep the car from starting. Also there is no listing for the oldsmobile intrigue for 1988. So what year make and model car do you have also engine size?

AdrianEdmonds

August, 17, 2011 AT 7:14 PM

I ERROR on the form page during registration. Information in question is correct. Its for a 98 Intrigue. Passlock system can be reset in 10 min. Cycles.

saturntech9

August, 17, 2011 AT 7:21 PM

Alright I just read up on your pass lock system it says when the security light is on the starter is disabled and the fuel injectors are disabled. So is that whats happening with your car?

AdrianEdmonds

August, 17, 2011 AT 7:28 PM

If the security line comes on the starter is disabled and the fuel injectors are disabled. The car won't even turn over. If you wait for 10 minute cycles turning the key on the ACC position after 10 minutes turning off 3 times it will reset a passlock system. The car will again turn over OR if you turn in ACC Position 10 minutes turn back then try to start the car it will turn over. No it will not turn start motor or anything until you do one or the other. I just haven't did a complete reset yet. 3 - 10 minute cycles. Hmmm I wonder?

AdrianEdmonds

August, 17, 2011 AT 7:29 PM

One more note is there a easy way to reset that form page to a 1998 instead of 1988. Sorry, new to this site.

saturntech9

August, 17, 2011 AT 9:05 PM

The most common reason for those pass lock systems to cause no starts is the wires to ignition cyclinders break inside of the insulation.

saturntech9

August, 17, 2011 AT 9:09 PM

Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?As soon as I get home I will get you a trouble tree for the pass lock. As far as changing the car year etc on this question I will ask I really dont know how.I just answer the questions on here I dont post questions so iam not sure how you go about doing that.I will ask mike for he is one of the founder of this site.

AdrianEdmonds

August, 17, 2011 AT 9:44 PM

Thank you for both responses. AND I'm curious about going to the full steps for resetting the passlock system which I will do tonight. Just or the record. Car belonged to cousin. Shes tired of this problem, offered to me. My problem. Getting it started and find out all that needs to be done. Keep you informed tommorrow. Thank you.

saturntech9

August, 17, 2011 AT 9:58 PM

You can try to relearn the pass lock but once there learned they dont forget I will still post the trouble tree for you.

saturntech9

August, 18, 2011 AT 1:46 AM

The best thing you could do is if you can get it started is take it somewhere and have them scan the body control module the auto parts store cant do this with there basic scanners. Let me know the exact numbers of the codes they start with B and four digit number.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang