THE RADIATOR FAN WILL NOT SHUT OFF SO I ...

1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Anonymous

November, 14, 2012 AT 5:12 AM

The radiator fan will not shut off, so I disconnected the positive terminal to the battery. Do I need to replace some type of sensor or switch?

November, 14, 2012 AT 6:00 AM

SOUNDS LIKE THE FAN RELAY'S CONTACTS STUCK TOGETHER

I LOOKED FOR A DIAGRAM OF IT'S LOCATION

ALL I HAD TO GO ON WAS "CUTLASS"............THERE WERE MANY DIFFERENT CUTLASS' ---AND I DID NOT HAVE AN ENGINE SIZE EITHER

I JUST PICKED "SUPREME" (ONLY ONE THAT COMES TO MIND)

NO DIAGRAM---BUT FOR A SUPREME IT SAYS IT'S LOCATED .................IN THE RIGHT ELECTRICAL CENTER

ONE OF THESE (FOR A CUTLASS SUPREME W/ 5.0 L) IN THIS LINK, COULD BE YOUR RELAY---OR PUNCH IN THE CORRECT INFO AND FIND YOURS

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_relay-bwd_20975821-p?searchTerm=fan+relay

THE GREEN CHECK MARK AND "EXACT FIT" REALLY HELPS IN MAKING SURE THE COMPONENTS ARE FOR YOUR SPECIFIC VEHICLE

SOMETIMES---SOMETIMESYOU CAN "THUMP" THE "SUSPECT" STUCK RELAY KINDA HARD---AND IT WILL UNSTICK

THIS MAY CLUE YOU INTO WHICH ONE IS THE BAD ONE----IF IT DOES COME UNSTUCK---I'D STILL REPLACE IT, IT'S SURE TO HAPPEN AGAIN, BUT AT A REALLY BAD TIME AND PLACE

Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet