EVEN HAVE A DIAGNOSTIC CODE RETRIEVAL PROCESS?

• richardcarson1
  • 1988 Mercury Tracer

1988 mercury tracer I dont see any type of connector for a code retrival tool. I have been researching about code retrieval and dont really have a clear understanding about the process to retrive codes for the 88 tracer or if there are any codes to get

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 7:08 PM

• Docfixit

It can be done but not very helpful info. Car made after 11/20/1987 need STAR tester before can use analog meter. Is MIL on?

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 7:15 PM
  • richardcarson1

I'm not sure what mil is. I had the issue of stalling when the gas pedal was touched. When I asked on here about the 1988 tracer I was told to check fuel pump pressure and check codes. So I stated looking into how to check codes and have no clue.

Saturday, August 11th, 2012 AT 11:09 PM
  • KHLow2008

MIL is the Malfunction Indicator Light (Check Engine Light).

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/ford-lincoln-mercury-obd1-1995-and-earlier-diagnostic-trouble-code-definition-and-retrieval

Above link explains how to go about but this might not be applicable for your vehicle.

Symptoms you described could be due to a fault with the VAF (Volume Air Flow).

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 8:57 AM
  • richardcarson1

On the 88 tracer I cant find a data port connector(states is under hood by battery) that resembles the one list under the link you posted. Nor is there any type of connector that I can locate. I did pull the fuel line off after the filter and the pump does pump gas, which let me to believe something with vacuum hoses. After checking every hose for cracks, I found no visible flaws. So im wondering if the mass air flow meter is the culprate? And how do I go about testing the meter? Thanks so much for your input

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 4:42 PM
  • KHLow2008

Check if the connector is underdash.

Using Analog Volt/Ohm Meter (VOM)

1. Turn ignition off and connect a jumper wire from the self test input connector to ground. Set volt/ohmmeter on a DC voltage range to read from 0-20 volts.

2. Connect volt/ohmmeter between White/Green wire terminal on 6-pin self-test output connector and battery negative terminal.

Testing of the VAF is rather complex and requires a DVOM and breakout box.

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 5:16 PM