REAR DIFFERENTIAL NEEDS WORK

• td craig
  • 1988 Kia Sportage

Rear differential started making a small noise and now it is really bad. It doesn't look like anything is broken as far as I can see from the filler hole, could it be just some of the bearings and what do you think would be the cost if so?

Thursday, December 22nd, 2011 AT 2:46 AM

• saturntech9

Are you sure its not the wheel bearing?Without knowing exactly what it is I cant give you estimate.

Thursday, December 22nd, 2011 AT 3:27 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

MIGHT BE BETTER OFF DOIN' THE SALVAGE YARD ROUTE

THAT IS, IF IT IS THE DIFF

IF POSSIBLE LOOK FOR A TAG ON THE UNIT AND COPY THE INFO

IF YOU HAVE ANY SAY IN IT, LOOK FOR A LOW MILEAGE RIG (IF SPEEDO IS GONE, LOOK FOR NICE PAINT, NO PEDAL WEAR, ANY OTHER WELL USED FEATURES SHOWING LITTLE WEAR) BUT WRECKED ON THE FRONT END

REBUILDING A DIFF CORRECTLY IS A DYING ART, MOST SLING 'EM TOGETHER WITHOUT CRITICAL USE OF CHARTS, SHIMMING, AND PRECISE MEASURING. LONGEVITY LACKS---'SPECIALLY SINCE CARS ARE GETTING MORE AND MORE DISPOSABLE.A SWAP MAY BE YOUR CHEAPER ROUTE

I RECENTLY FOUND A REAR END FOR MY MOM AND DAD'S '86 THUNDERBIRD---IT WAS $150 THRU A COMPUTER LINKED AUTO SALVAGE YARD SYSTEM. TOOK MY BUDDY AND I 5 HOURS TO DRAIN AND REFILL THE DIFF, THEN INSTALL IT, THEN SWAP OUT THE BRAKE SYSTEMS ON BOTH SIDES.

ACCORDING TO THE YARD THAT HAD IT, THE CAR IT CAME OFF OF WAS LESS THAN 2 YEARS OLD WHEN IT WAS WRECKED AND BROUGHT INTO THEIR YARD, AND WAS SUPPOSED TO BE CRUSHED THE NEXT WEEK

KEEP US UPDATED

Thursday, December 22nd, 2011 AT 4:01 AM
  • KHLow2008

If the differential is with Limited Slip, forget about repairing it. Getting a used unit from the junk yard would be a better choice.

Thursday, December 22nd, 2011 AT 12:16 PM