MY STARTER IS NOT MAKING JEEP START

• piggyman42
  • 1988 Jeep Cherokee

I asked a question on my 1988 jeep cherokee, I put the starter on and it makes a clicking sound. I believe that I put the starter in correclty the way it goes in. Connected the wires to were they belong. Its still makes clicking noise when I turn the key to start the jeep. But it still does not start. I checked the gears adn they were fine. I was told to look at and check the pinion, what is that and were is that, and how do I fix or check it? Were is the flex plate?And how do I get to it to check the pinion?

thank you
scotty johnston

Tuesday, October 11th, 2011 AT 9:48 PM

• ASEMaster6371

Forget about the pinion. It has no effect at all.

Does the motor rotate? Can you turn it by hand? It may be locked up causing both your starters to just click.

Tuesday, October 11th, 2011 AT 10:00 PM
  • rasmataz

I've answered you earlier-double check the battery connections and at the starter motor solenoid if everything okay-check and test the starter relay, transmission range switch and ignition switch check all of these and report back your findings unable to do-bring her in and have the pros look at it-this can be a nightmare for a DIY w/o an electrical experience

Tuesday, October 11th, 2011 AT 10:01 PM