WHAT IS THE CAUSE OF MY IDLING PROBLEM?

1988 GMC Van

Joshfahrenheit

November, 27, 2011 AT 9:05 PM

I have a 1988 GMC Vandura 2500 5.7 ltr V8. Here's my story: The van was slowly acting weird, strange idle, lack of power. I tried to leave a parking lot on Thanksgiving, and it just died and wouldn't start back up. I thought I had bad gas or something and had to get it towed. I put in Lucas gas treatment and put higher octane gas in it (about half a tank) and it seemed to be better. Now it's idling erratically again. Up real high then down real low and wants to die. Back and forth, up and down. I have to give it gas to keep from dying when the idle drops. What could it be? I saw a section on here about a vacuum leak causing a whistling sound. I have noticed the past month of a whistle sound that was not there before. Please help me, I already had to be towed on Thanksgiving and I'm very poor right now.

November, 27, 2011 AT 9:13 PM

Clean out the idle air control valve and EGR/PCV valves and see what happens

Joshfahrenheit

November, 27, 2011 AT 9:52 PM

Okay, will do. I'm not much of a mechanic. I'm trying to find where the idle air control valve is located, not coming up with much online.

November, 27, 2011 AT 10:26 PM

Its on the throttle body-you need a repair manual

Joshfahrenheit

November, 28, 2011 AT 12:31 AM

I found it! Took it off and cleaned it with carb cleaner. The springs around it moved but the post (part with metal tip) didn't seem to move in and out. I'm not sure if it is supposed to or not. I put everything back together, and no real change in idle- still up and down. Onto the EGR/PCV valves I guess?

November, 28, 2011 AT 2:06 AM

When you turn key on the IACV should move if not its defective

Joshfahrenheit

November, 28, 2011 AT 10:13 PM

Okay. I turned the key and could see the IACV move in and out. Pretty cool : ) So we can rule that out? I think I've located the EGR valve. Just remove it and clean? Thanks for all your help!

November, 28, 2011 AT 10:31 PM

You're welcomed

Joshfahrenheit

November, 29, 2011 AT 5:24 AM

One last question. The IACV did NOT move when the ignition key was in the "on" position. It only moves when I started the engine up. Is it defective?

November, 29, 2011 AT 6:36 AM

Go to this link and understand how it works-http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-a-idle-air-control-valve-works

Joshfahrenheit

November, 30, 2011 AT 7:15 PM

Well, I changed out the IACV, seemed to do better, then it was bad again. I took out the EGR- it seemed stuck, so I sprayed wd-40 and had it working smoothly. Neither seemed to fix my problem. It got worse and worse and finally stalled wouldn't start up again at all. I had to have it towed to a mechanic : ( Any thoughts on what it could be? I sure hope I don't get ripped off.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro