One more time for tilt!
1. Remove steering wheel. Remove column from vehicle. Remove turn signal lever. Drive out
pivot pin. On column shift models, remove shift lever. On all models, remove lower flange and
2. Remove lower bearing retainer. On column shift models, remove shift tube retaining rivet from
bottom of shift socket. Withdraw shift tube from bottom of column.
3. On all models, remove lock drive gear. Remove turn signal switch screws and wiring harness-
to-column retaining clips. Remove switch and wiring harness from column. Remove cover
casting screws. Remove casting from column.
4. Unhook upper actuator from lower actuator. Remove upper actuator. Remove lower flange-to-
outer tube attaching screws. Discard screws. Loosen ignition switch retaining screws. Remove
ignition actuator rod from switch.
5. Withdraw tilt mechanism, steering shaft and ignition actuator rod from steering column upper
end. On column shift models, remove shift socket. On floor shift models, remove flange
Fig. 7: Exploded View of Tilt Column Assembly
1. On A/T models, attach shift indicator ring to tilt mechanism. Install shift socket. On floor shift
models, attach flange extension and key release mechanism to tilt mechanism and tighten.
2. On all models, install tilt mechanism, feeding steering shaft down center of column and
ignition switch actuator rod through shift socket/flange extension along top of column outer
3. Using new hex screws, install 3 flange retainer assemblies and tighten. Install lower bearing
retainer. Attach ignition switch loosely to outer tube.
4. Connect upper and lower actuators. Install cover on column and tighten screws. Install turn
signal switch and wiring harness in column. Attach wiring harness-to-steering column clips.
5. Install 2 turn signal switch-to-flange casting attaching screws. Install one warning buzzer
terminal attaching screw and tighten screws. Install turn signal lever. Install lock drive gear.
With key in "ON" position, install lock cylinder. Install retaining pin flush with cylinder.
6. With ignition switch mounting nuts loose, clip switch through opening in side of switch
casting. Center switch on actuation rod. Tighten retaining nuts. Remove clip. Install shift lever
and pivot pin on A/T. Install turn signal lever. Install steering column and steering wheel.
FLANGE & LOCKING MECHANISM
Due to telescopic feature, care must be taken not to change
length of steering shaft.
Disassembly (Non-Tilt Columns)
1. Remove flange retaining bolts. On M/T models, remove snap ring and spring from lock release
lever assembly. On A/T models, remove shift indicator insert from front of flange. On all
models, turn ignition on.
2. Depress retaining pin. Remove lock cylinder from flange. Remove lock bearing snap ring, lock
bearing, lock drive gear and actuator assembly. Remove lock actuator insert screw and lock
actuator through opening in front of flange.
Reassembly (Non-Tilt Columns)
1. Install lock actuator insert in rear of flange. Insert lock actuator assembly through opening in
front of flange until it bottoms against insert.
2. Install lock drive gear through lock cylinder opening so that last gear tooth aligns with last
tooth in actuator assembly when actuator is fully rearward.
3. Install lock bearing and snap ring. Turn ignition on. Depress retaining ring while inserting lock
cylinder into flange. On A/T models, attach shift indicator insert to front of flange.
4. On M/T models, position spring on lock release lever assembly through hole in front of flange.
Install snap ring on lock release lever assembly. On all models, install retaining bolt through
holes in flange. Finger tighten nuts from rear side.
Disassembly (Tilt Columns)
1. Remove steering column from vehicle. Remove spring clips holding wire bale. Lift off wire
bale. With a small drift, drive out locking lever retaining pin. See Fig. 8.
Fig. 8: Tilt Mechanism Flange Sub-Assembly
2. Remove lever and spring. Using a "C" clamp, relieve tension on pin (if necessary). Remove
column upper shaft snap ring. Separate upper and lower flange castings by removing 2 pivot
pins located in side of casting.
3. Using Pin Remover (T70P-3D739-A) and Pin Remover Handle (T67P-3D739-C), remove
pivot pins. Do not reuse pivot pins if press fit is loose in flange. By tapping lightly on outer
races of bearings, replace upper flange bearings.
Reassembly (Tilt Columns)
1. Install lower actuator with ignition switch rod attached. Assemble upper and lower flange.
Using a "C" clamp, press in pivot pins. Ensure column position spring is properly seated
between upper and lower flange.
2. Wavy thrust washer must be positioned between lower flange and socket. Install upper column
snap ring. Assemble locking lever, spring and lever pin. Install wire bale and spring clips.
Images (Click to enlarge)
Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011 AT 7:43 PM