I have a 1988 Ford Crown Vic with overdrive. In normal drive it pulls good, but it slips going into overdrive. What can cause this?
have the same problem?
Sunday, February 6th, 2011 AT 12:21 AM
Check fluids and suspect internal problem
Sunday, February 6th, 2011 AT 2:07 AM
Well Sir Mr. Don30728,
Imma Jeep CJ kinda guy, and I have to keep up with my family and friends vehicles.
I work on my 2 Jeeps the same way, except there is more enjoyment with them.
I saw you had been waiting, so I thought I might try to assist. Maybe.
I feel that you are here for one of 2 reasons.
1) You wanna see if you can make it work better for few $$$. Or
2) You have already had some Diagnosis from others, maybe Pros or maybe the "Know it alls" everyone encounters. Now you are just maybe comparing this stuff, to make a decision for your next move.
Well, what you get from me, a "Self Certified Rear Lawn Vehicle Technician" is the way I would approach/attempt to do this inexpensively as possible.
1) Have you changed the Tranny Filter and Fluid. ON TIME. EVER? If you have not, this may fix you up, but if not, at least it was FINALLY done. No harm done anyway!
2) Auto trannys are complex, some newer rigs have sensors that "throw Codes" It may be possible to take it to A popular parts store and get it coded for FREE, there again, they may show you a sensor to change out, and Wah-Lah. Fixed
3) Some trannys have adjustments, usually the tranny shop wants to keep it a secret, or boasts it must only be adjusted by a rocket scientist or awful things are sure to happen.
4) I have found that many (especially smaller) Auto salvage yard fellers (seasoned) Know a Great Deal about how to Diagnose and even assist you in getting things straight. But even better than that, should it need more attention than what I have thrown out to you, The Salvage Yard Guys KNOW the Feller who will do you right and inexpensively. They also know the guy who will do you wrong! (Get that info too!)
I really hope #1, is your fix
Auto trannys have million of parts, I let the guys that do 'em, have 'em!