CAR RAN GREAT UNTIL A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO

1988 Dodge Aries

ryanokeefe

December, 5, 2012 AT 6:34 PM

Car ran great until a couple of days ago. While driving at 55mph it stumbled once. The next drive three times. The next morning it started and then stalled three times, then ran fine on the forth start. Later that day it started losing power while driving and stalling at stops. It now will always start with no problem but only for a few seconds and then stall. Please help!

December, 5, 2012 AT 6:50 PM

Check the spark plugs, wires and ignition coils for a start.
Are you able to keep the engine running if you feather the throttle?

ryanokeefe

December, 5, 2012 AT 6:54 PM

It does keep running with the throttle feathered, however it is not steady and does stumble.

December, 5, 2012 AT 7:02 PM

The idling speed is too low and I would suggest cleaning the throttle body and checking for vacuum leaks.

ryanokeefe

December, 5, 2012 AT 8:48 PM

I found a broken vacuum line coming from the heated air and purge canister nipple. I am going to get a vacuum splice to fix the line. Would that fix this issue?

December, 5, 2012 AT 9:05 PM

If it is a constant vacum line, it most probably would fix the problem. You need to get it fixed to know it that is the cause. You can try plugging the vacuum source to test.

ryanokeefe

December, 5, 2012 AT 9:55 PM

I have ran down all the vacuum lines. Made the repair I mentioned earlier and no improvement.

ryanokeefe

December, 5, 2012 AT 9:58 PM

Also, when I open the throttle, a white vapor comes out. Is that normal? The car develops a strong gas smell when repeatedly started and kept running by giving it gas.

December, 6, 2012 AT 3:10 PM

If anything is coming out of the throttle, it could mean the ignition timing is too advanced.

Symptoms indicates the engine is running rich and if you have not checked the spark plugs and related components, go through them.

ryanokeefe

December, 6, 2012 AT 3:39 PM

I have checked those. I am going to check the timing belt next to see if it is okay.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe