CAN I DELETE BELT TO A/C COMPRESSOR?

1988 Chevrolet

speedyscoot

October, 12, 2011 AT 8:26 PM

1988 Holiday Rambler motorhome based on Chevy P30 chassis with 454, 7.4L, W code engine. A/C is not working although pulley spins freely, electrical connection to clutch is disconnected. I do not need the A/C.
The belt is very worn to A/C compressor and rather than replace it, I would like to delete it altogether if possible as it appears this is all the belt is driving even though it is routed around the crank, power steering pump and water pump. However the power steering pump has it's own drive belt from the crank and the water pump is driven by the serpentine belt.
Am I right in thinking I can delete it?

Changing Drive Belt

Docfixit

October, 12, 2011 AT 8:29 PM

Check with auto patrs store Dorman makes bypass pullies and may have for your application

Docfixit

October, 12, 2011 AT 8:34 PM

Or cut belt off

speedyscoot

October, 12, 2011 AT 8:42 PM

Thanks for the replys. I have cut the old belt off, I just wanted to make sure that I didn't need to replace it due to sharing loads or something.

Docfixit

November, 28, 2011 AT 3:01 PM

How did repair go?

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue