TRYING TO START MY CAR AND ALL ITS DOING IS A ...

1988 Cadillac Brougham

caddyboy239

December, 6, 2012 AT 6:02 PM

Trying to start my car and all its doing is a rapid clicking and all the lights, radio, interior lights all working can u help plz

caradiodoc

December, 6, 2012 AT 9:43 PM

Dead / defective battery or loose cable connections. Have you tried a jump-start? If that works, measure the battery voltage with the engine running, then with the engine off. Holler back with those numbers.

caddyboy239

December, 7, 2012 AT 6:48 PM

Well with a jump start it cranks I didnt measure the voltage I dont have the equipment I checked my cables they were tight. Something is draining my battery its using alot of juice. What should I do?

caddyboy239

December, 7, 2012 AT 6:50 PM

I also unhooked my radio also and its still pulling alot of juice while it was running smoke came frome behind engine.

caradiodoc

December, 7, 2012 AT 9:02 PM

So it sounds like the engine will start and run like it's supposed to. Something is smoking but we don't know if it's leaked oil burning off or excessive current through a wire.

You have to see where the smoke is coming from. That's a real big clue we don't get very often.

You probably need a professional with a load tester to measure an excessive current drain and follow where it's going, but voltage measurements are real easy to take. Harbor Freight Tools has a digital voltmeter for less than ten bucks, and it often goes on sale for $4.99. Most meters like that only measure up to 2 amps. That won't be anywhere near enough to measure what you need. That's where the professional load tester comes in. They can measure well over 500 amps. Sears, Walmart, and Radio Shack also have digital volt-ohm-amp meters but most of them have more features than anyone needs.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test