I HAVE A 1987 TOYOTA PICKUP WITH A CARBURETED ...

1987 Toyota Pickup

oreofilling35

December, 20, 2010 AT 2:12 AM

I have a 1987 Toyota Pickup with a carbureted 22R. The engine misfires at idle and belches black smoke when I accelerate. I just replaced the plugs, and there were black deposits all over them and inside the cylinder. Is it running too rich, or is/are there some other problem/s that need to be addressed?

Black Smoke Coming From Exhaust

Smoking

boatbuddy

December, 20, 2010 AT 2:37 AM

Its normal to see some black deposits on plugs like that. Check to see if the choke vacum kick is set to narrow along with the fast idle cam and hot fast idle rpm.

Jacobandnickolas

It sounds like it is running too rich. Check to make sure the choke is adjusted and not sticking shut.

Block the choke open and see if the vehicle runs better. If it does, that is where the problem is coming from. If that doesn't solve the problem, it could have to do with a bad float in the carb, a bad needle valve, or the air fuel mixture may need adjusted.

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla