CANT REACH THE RIGHT SIDE O2 SENSOR

1987 Mercury Marquis

tchsm427

December, 3, 2011 AT 10:19 PM

I am replacing my right side o2 sensor I have the o2 wrench but cant reach it still. Any tips for a frustrated girl? Top side or bottom side easier on my 1987 mercury marquis limosine I have a o2 wrench but still cant reach it any tips?

caradiodoc

December, 3, 2011 AT 10:45 PM

I understand the frustration but it has nothing to do with being a girl. On some models you can cut the wires off the old sensor, (which guarantees it's permanently destroyed), and slip a box wrench over it. You might get the wrench to go over the connector too without cutting wires. Most sensors are reached from under the car but sometimes you can get to them from on top if you remove anything in the way. As a last resort, it's not unheard of on some Fords to have to lower the exhaust Y-pipe to reach an O2 sensor. I try to avoid that because rusted and broken-off studs adds more frustration to the job.

Oxygen Sensor Replacement Honda Civic 1996-20
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Dodge Stratus
Fail Your Smog Test? Fix it Fast