I WAS DRIVING ON THE FREEWAY AT 65MPH WHEN IT ...

1987 Mercury Cougar

gjoelh

December, 2, 2012 AT 11:53 PM

I was driving on the freeway at 65mph when it just lost power all of a sudden. I can start it, but it barely runs, extremely rough and shakes hard and when you give it gas it just runs even rougher and power loss untll it dies

December, 3, 2012 AT 12:25 AM

Check the exhaust system for restriction-Catalytic Converter could be clogged-up-start here and also go to this walk thru link: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-has-low-power-output

gjoelh

December, 4, 2012 AT 4:42 AM

Thanks,
i checked for restriction and it sems to be ok. I'll still at a loss because of how it happened so sudden, going from running ok at 70 mph and then just shutdown. No sound or noise, but like something went. I coasted to the side of the road. And like I said, it will turn over and start but idles rough and won't stay running

December, 4, 2012 AT 9:26 AM

Fuel pump could be failing -check the fuel pressure if its within specs before and after the fuel filter

Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Filter Change