RECENTLY ON MY 1987 CRX HF CARBURETED AND MANUAL...

1987 Honda CRX

Blubabe52889

April, 7, 2013 AT 8:04 PM

Recently, on my 1987 CRX HF (carbureted and manual) a heater hose cracked and emptied the radiator, which caused the engine to overheat to an insanely high temperature. We replaced the heater hose and the car started fine, only issues were the idling issues that it originally had. But the next day, after the car sat overnight, I started it and the idle wont drop from 3000 rpm. Is this new high idle because the engine overheated? What could be causing it?

April, 7, 2013 AT 8:06 PM

Is the coolant level good? The automatic choke is assisted by a heater hose, if I am not mistaken

Blubabe52889

April, 7, 2013 AT 8:08 PM

Yeah. The coolant level is good. Another thing I forgot to mention is that when it started idling at 3000 rpm, the pressure caused the fuel to back up and it started to come out of the fuel cap. Is this also due to the engine overheating?

April, 7, 2013 AT 8:12 PM

No, different issue entirely.

Blubabe52889

April, 7, 2013 AT 8:17 PM

I wad told the thermostat could be sticking, so that's been replaced. Haven't found a vacuum leak, flushed the radiator, also replaced the transmission fluid because it has been slipping- thought it was low on fluid so changed it- which didn't help. It has new plugs, the timing was checked about a month ago, but I can't get the idle down to 1k to check it again. I am totally lost.

April, 7, 2013 AT 8:19 PM

See if the choke plate is all the way open that will allow the idle to come down

Blubabe52889

April, 7, 2013 AT 8:23 PM

Okay. Any ideas about the fuel backing up like it did? Granted, the car does have 300k on it, which is a lot, but if I can fix it, I'm certainly going try.

April, 7, 2013 AT 8:25 PM

I would be looking at the hoses to the tank, the evap hoses, for one of them to be blocked not allowing venting

Blubabe52889

April, 7, 2013 AT 10:59 PM

After it warmed up, It seems the idle has fixed itself entirely. Even when it's warm it idles steadily now, not fluctuating like it was before. Hasn't died once. Thank you for your help, though. The info is greatly appreciated.

Heater Hose Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Replace Heater Core