87 OIL LIGHT PROBLEM

1987 Dodge Aries

jeremyjerm12

March, 30, 2011 AT 5:40 PM

The oil light came on in my 1987 dodge aries, 2.5L. I was driving home from work. And when I pulled into my driveway the light came on. And I was just about to shut my car off (cause I didnt wanna wreck my motor incase my oil pressure had dropped) then the light fadded off. So I let it rn for a little longer and it did not come back on

Docfixit

March, 30, 2011 AT 5:48 PM

To know for sure need to check with mechanical oil guage see what oil psi is may just be faulty sending unit

jeremyjerm12

March, 30, 2011 AT 5:52 PM

How do I check with a mechanical iol guage?

Docfixit

March, 30, 2011 AT 5:56 PM

Either take to shop or buy a guage and line unscrew oil sender screw in gague start car read psi

jeremyjerm12

March, 30, 2011 AT 5:57 PM

caradiodoc

March, 30, 2011 AT 6:06 PM

Hi guys. Excuse me for jumping in here. Don't overlook the fact you might just be low on oil. These are pretty tough engines that don't develop low pressure due to wear very often. Since the light didn't come back on at idle, that suggests the pressure is okay, and since it DID come on when you turned a corner, that suggests low oil level and what was still in the engine ran away from the pickup tube momentarily.

Some auto parts stores borrow or rent tools too and they are likely to have an oil pressure gauge with adapter fittings and instructions.

Hi Docfixit. Good day to you!

jeremyjerm12

March, 30, 2011 AT 6:07 PM

The oil is good. Its on full. And it was when I put it in park that the light came on. So it would have been idling

caradiodoc

March, 30, 2011 AT 6:16 PM

Then check the pressure. You originally said the light came on when you pulled in the driveway. THAT would be typical of low level. My bet is on a faulty sending unit before an engine problem, but the pressure test will tell for sure.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevy Silverado
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Super Duty