DROPPED STEERING COLUMN TO FIX THE ROD FOR THE ...

1987 Chevrolet El Camino

mike0091981

October, 28, 2012 AT 9:41 AM

dropped steering column to fix the rod for the dimmer switch. Put everything back together. Now have no lights, voltage to the cigarette lighter and radio. Looked all over the place to see what wires got disconnected. I saw none. Everything worked before I dropped the steering column. Fuses and relays are ok. The positive wire for the headlight switch ( red ) is grounded. Racking my brain trying to figure it out.

October, 28, 2012 AT 10:06 AM

Cigarette lighter Orange wire gets its power from the courtesy/Clock fuse. If courtesy lights are working, it would mean a connection is not reconnected somewhere.

If it is the illumination lights you are refering to, the radio and cigarette lighter together with the taillight and front park lights receives power from the taillight fuse. At light switch test for battery voltage to the Orange wire (terminal F). If battery voltage is available, turn on lights and test the Brown (Terminal E) and if voltage is not available, the light switch is bad.

The Red wire at headlight swich UST not be grounded. It has to have battery voltage from the fusible links underhood.

mike0091981

October, 28, 2012 AT 10:25 AM

Already replaced headlight switch. All lights, except for brake light and turn signals, dont work. Headlights and tail lights dont come on. Brother in law tried rewiring it and had it where if you turn off the headlight switch you loss tail lights, radio and courtesy.

mike0091981

October, 28, 2012 AT 10:27 AM

It is wire back to original so that I can get them working properly

October, 28, 2012 AT 10:31 AM

Attached is the switch schematic.

Disconnect the switch and test the RED and ORANGE wire for battery voltage. There must be voltage to both.

mike0091981

October, 28, 2012 AT 10:34 AM

No voltage to both

October, 28, 2012 AT 10:44 AM

Check for a blown fusible link under hood.

mike0091981

October, 28, 2012 AT 7:12 PM

Nope, but I found a pulled wire near a junction box (red). Does not plug in to junction box. Also all wires to headlight switch are still grounded

October, 29, 2012 AT 12:11 PM

The RED wire MUST not be grounded. If it is, you have a short circuit somewhere an the fusible link should be blown too.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement
Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro