CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

• rattlesnake1972
  • 1987 Buick Somerset

I have removed the CPS from my vehicle and would like to test the resistance before I shell out the $40 for a new one. It has 4 probes in the connector on which ones should I touch with my multimeter. And what are the readings if it is in fact still good. Thanks in advance.

Friday, October 7th, 2011 AT 5:01 AM

• rivermikerat

Which engine does your car have? I also need to know what the engine code is. This should be the 6th character from the left. Ie: K, L, R.

Friday, October 7th, 2011 AT 5:36 AM
  • rattlesnake1972

It is the 3.0L v6 the code is (I)

Friday, October 7th, 2011 AT 6:45 PM
  • rivermikerat

This is the Buick Crankshaft Position Sensor diagnostic chart for your car and engine.

Friday, October 7th, 2011 AT 10:27 PM
  • rattlesnake1972

Thank you very much for quick reponse, as it turns out my car is a type 1 module system. Do you have a diagnostic chart of that?Also I have seen on youtube where guys are probing the cps as pictured above, which probes do I touch and what would the readings be on a good one. So I could know if mine is bad.I will be donating to this site soon. As I am working on this car to get it going. Thanks again

Saturday, October 8th, 2011 AT 2:36 PM
  • rivermikerat

Here's what I was able to find for Type 1. But, according to my reference, it's for a 3.8, not a 3.0.

Saturday, October 8th, 2011 AT 11:27 PM
  • rattlesnake1972

Thanks again. Is there a way specifically. To test the pins on the sensor I sent the picture of with multimeter to see if it is good or bad as if it were right out of the box from store?Which pins to touch and what resistance to look for?Oh and by the way I do have a type 1 and yet it is 3.0 engine.

Friday, October 14th, 2011 AT 12:57 AM
  • rivermikerat

What I posted is all I was able to find for troubleshooting.

Monday, October 17th, 2011 AT 1:19 AM