CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

1987 Buick Somerset

rattlesnake1972

October, 7, 2011 AT 5:01 AM

I have removed the CPS from my vehicle and would like to test the resistance before I shell out the $40 for a new one. It has 4 probes in the connector on which ones should I touch with my multimeter. And what are the readings if it is in fact still good. Thanks in advance.

rivermikerat

October, 7, 2011 AT 5:36 AM

Which engine does your car have? I also need to know what the engine code is. This should be the 6th character from the left. Ie: K, L, R.

rattlesnake1972

October, 7, 2011 AT 6:45 PM

It is the 3.0L v6 the code is (I)

rivermikerat

October, 7, 2011 AT 10:27 PM

This is the Buick Crankshaft Position Sensor diagnostic chart for your car and engine.

rattlesnake1972

October, 8, 2011 AT 2:36 PM

Thank you very much for quick reponse, as it turns out my car is a type 1 module system. Do you have a diagnostic chart of that?Also I have seen on youtube where guys are probing the cps as pictured above, which probes do I touch and what would the readings be on a good one. So I could know if mine is bad.I will be donating to this site soon. As I am working on this car to get it going. Thanks again

rivermikerat

October, 8, 2011 AT 11:27 PM

Here's what I was able to find for Type 1. But, according to my reference, it's for a 3.8, not a 3.0.

rattlesnake1972

October, 14, 2011 AT 12:57 AM

Thanks again. Is there a way specifically. To test the pins on the sensor I sent the picture of with multimeter to see if it is good or bad as if it were right out of the box from store?Which pins to touch and what resistance to look for?Oh and by the way I do have a type 1 and yet it is 3.0 engine.

rivermikerat

October, 17, 2011 AT 1:19 AM

What I posted is all I was able to find for troubleshooting.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet