AT NIGHT WHEN HEADLIGHTS ARE ON THE SPEEDOMETER ...

• thehend6
  • 1987 Buick Riviera

At night when headlights are on the speedometer light panel is very bright & wont dim, and the instrument lights dont come on. What could be the problem?

Friday, November 30th, 2012 AT 6:53 PM

• JDL

Did you try rotating the headlamp switch knob? Usually you can dim interior lamps that way. If it won't work maybe something wrong with headlamp switch?

Friday, November 30th, 2012 AT 7:02 PM
  • thehend6

Don't have a knob. I have replaced the whole switch & it still wont dim, I guess there is some kind of sensor in the dash maybe that is not reading that it is night time.

Friday, November 30th, 2012 AT 8:36 PM
  • JDL

For twilight sentinal, there is a photo-cell under the speaker or defrost grille. I can't be positive that the problem is the photo-cell?

Friday, November 30th, 2012 AT 10:18 PM
  • thehend6

Do you know how one would check if its the problem? How do I get to it? Checking my manual & not finding it?

Friday, November 30th, 2012 AT 10:57 PM
  • JDL

I'm not up to speed on your model year. I can just tell you according to our database. If you have twilight sentenal? For the photo-cell, our data base just says center of dash.

Saturday, December 1st, 2012 AT 12:01 AM