AT NIGHT WHEN HEADLIGHTS ARE ON THE SPEEDOMETER ...

1987 Buick Riviera

thehend6

November, 30, 2012 AT 6:53 PM

At night when headlights are on the speedometer light panel is very bright & wont dim, and the instrument lights dont come on. What could be the problem?

November, 30, 2012 AT 7:02 PM

Did you try rotating the headlamp switch knob? Usually you can dim interior lamps that way. If it won't work maybe something wrong with headlamp switch?

thehend6

November, 30, 2012 AT 8:36 PM

Don't have a knob. I have replaced the whole switch & it still wont dim, I guess there is some kind of sensor in the dash maybe that is not reading that it is night time.

November, 30, 2012 AT 10:18 PM

For twilight sentinal, there is a photo-cell under the speaker or defrost grille. I can't be positive that the problem is the photo-cell?

thehend6

November, 30, 2012 AT 10:57 PM

Do you know how one would check if its the problem? How do I get to it? Checking my manual & not finding it?

December, 1, 2012 AT 12:01 AM

I'm not up to speed on your model year. I can just tell you according to our database. If you have twilight sentenal? For the photo-cell, our data base just says center of dash.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement