MY 1986 PONTIAC TRANS AM SOMETIMES WILL NOT ...

1986 Pontiac Trans Am

Randall Moore

March, 4, 2012 AT 10:10 PM

My 1986 Pontiac Trans Am sometimes will not shift properly and other times shifts perfectly. I have recently changed the filter and the fluid but had no effect.I was told the shift sensors in the transmission are bad. Where are these located and would this cause such a problem? Sounds reasonable but i'm not too familar with automatic transmissions. Thanks Randall

Trans Not Shifting

Not Shifting

1 IMAGE

saturntech9

March, 4, 2012 AT 10:16 PM

So are getting a hard shift?

Randall Moore

March, 5, 2012 AT 5:29 AM

Yes, when it doesn't shift properly it is a hard shift.

saturntech9

March, 5, 2012 AT 5:37 AM

Thats usually caused by too high of pressure in the transmission.I would do a pressure test and see what you find there.

Randall Moore

March, 5, 2012 AT 5:47 AM

How is a pressure test done on a transmission?

saturntech9

March, 5, 2012 AT 6:31 AM

You need a transmission pressure tester kit I have a pretty nice set it was under 60. You have to hook it to the transmission like a oil pressure gauge.I will look and see if I can find info on checking the pressure on a car that old on the online data I have.

saturntech9

March, 6, 2012 AT 12:15 AM

I found the info on doing a pressure test on your transmission. Let me know if your going to get a transmission pressure tester kit and I will post the info.

Randall Moore

March, 6, 2012 AT 1:30 AM

I plan to get one just have to find someone who sells them. I have tried Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone with no luck. Will try different auto parts stores or maybe online.I appreciate the help and the quick response you have provided, it is greatly appreciated.

saturntech9

March, 6, 2012 AT 1:36 AM

Here is the one i have i have used it many times the nice part about it is there is a gauge for oil pressure and one for transmission pressure.Also it has quick release hoses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000R5G0DO/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1330997634&sr=8-1