MY ALTERNATOR WONT CHARGE BATTERY

1986 Nissan 300ZX

timhillmer

July, 15, 2012 AT 8:28 PM

I have recently had the alternator changed and everything was working fine until yesterday I washed the car and when I got back in my battery light was on. Later on while driving the car completely died (most likely because it was just running off the battery. I checked all my grounds and made sure wires were all attached to alternator. Im running out of ideas for what the problem could be and need some help!

saturntech9

July, 15, 2012 AT 8:38 PM

Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

timhillmer

July, 15, 2012 AT 8:55 PM

Yes I do and I tested the battery voltage with vehicle running and it started at 12 volts and worked its way down till nine when the car shuts off which lets me know that the alternator isnt charging but its a new alternator

saturntech9

July, 15, 2012 AT 9:01 PM

There is two white wires going into your alternator they should have battery voltage. Also the black wire to the alternator should have 2 ohms or less to ground. If all thats good bad alternator. But my guess is though you will find no power to the white wires.

timhillmer

July, 15, 2012 AT 9:14 PM

What if the wires have no power

saturntech9

July, 15, 2012 AT 9:23 PM

Then you have a blown fuse link that feeds power into the alternator.

timhillmer

July, 15, 2012 AT 9:26 PM

Where is the fusable link located? I cant see it anywhere

saturntech9

July, 15, 2012 AT 9:48 PM

If you follow the white wire from the alternator it goes right into fuseable link.

timhillmer

July, 15, 2012 AT 9:59 PM

I found the fuseable link in the box by battery I hard wirede around it and got my battery power back but now when I start the car therenis a clicking coming from alternator so what would cause this

saturntech9

July, 15, 2012 AT 10:06 PM

Bypassing a fuseable you can start a fire there is a reason the fuseable link blew. Bad alternator or short somewhere. You need to have a the alternator tested.

timhillmer

July, 15, 2012 AT 10:13 PM

Well I hooked the fuseable back up and its still clicking

Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz