I HAVE CHANGED THE REAR BRAKES ON THIS CAR DRUM ...

1986 Merkur XR4ti

gbarnhart

October, 18, 2012 AT 9:32 PM

I have changed the rear brakes on this car (drum) and when I lock the brakes in place so I can get the brake drum on, how do you unlock the brakes that when you put your foot on the brake pedal that it will work?

Excessive Brake Pedal Travel

Brake Pedal Sinking

caradiodoc

October, 18, 2012 AT 10:28 PM

Can you clarify what you're trying to do? How and why are you trying to lock something to put a drum on?

gbarnhart

October, 19, 2012 AT 7:34 PM

When putting on the new rear brake shoes, there is a small bar (horizonally) across the top that holds the shoes to the wheel cyclinder with two springs. There is a small catch on it that keeps the shoes to gether until you have put the brake drum on. When you step on the brakes it should expand the brakes to release the catch, but it is not doing this. I would think that the car would have to be running in order for the power booster to apply pressure to release this catch. Maybe the power booster is leaking and not enough pressure to actually expand the brakes?

caradiodoc

October, 20, 2012 AT 3:51 AM

Any chance you can post a closeup photo of the assembly?

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement