SPUTTERS AND STOPS RUNNING

1986 Mercury Lynx

2CarPros-Archives

November, 19, 2010 AT 8:00 PM

1986 Mercury Lynx mileage: 157,000. I have a problem that I have been trying to diagnose now for about two years. My Lynx will go for three or four months and run just fine, then out of the blue I will be driving along and it will sputter and stop running. I will let it sit for a few hours and it will start back up, run for a while, and quit again. This will go on for up to a month then it will return to running normal. I have had it in for diagnostic, tune-ups, carburetor rebuilt, thorough electrical inspection, all to no avail, I am at a loss. Right now, I am battling the on/off running syndrome. Any help would be appreciated.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

2CarPros-Archives

November, 19, 2010 AT 8:02 PM

If possible, when your car dies, and will not restart, check for spark at the spark plugs. If there is no spark, the problem may be the ignition module or the pick-up coil in the distributor.