WHAT WOULD CAUSE THE FRONT END OF MY 86 F250 TO SHAKE AND CAUSE MY HUB CAPS TO BECOME HOT?

1986 Ford F-250

ealeckson

April, 23, 2012 AT 9:55 PM

I was driving my truck to work this morning and suddenly it began to shake. I was able to make it to work and when I got there I didn't find any noticeable damage. I tried to drive home after work and the shaking got worse. I made it home and the driver's side hub cap was hot to the touch and it smelled warm. I'm wondering if this is a quick, cheap fix.

hmac300

April, 23, 2012 AT 10:20 PM

Sounds like maybe your wheel bearings are either badly worn or well on their way. The race may have llocked up on the spindle an dif it did you'll have to either replace the spindle or repair the spindle, depending on how bad it's worn. It could also be a front end problem so it's best to have a pro look at it.

caradiodoc

April, 23, 2012 AT 10:23 PM

Most commonly this is caused by a sticking brake caliper. Ford has had more than their share of trouble on trucks in the '70s and '80s. The next time this happens, park on a slight incline, then shift to neutral to see if the trucks rolls on its own. If not, leave it in park, then reach in back and open the bleeder screw or loosen the steel line at the master cylinder. If it still doesn't release, replace both front calipers.

Safely Changing Your Spare Tire
Upper Control Arm Replacement
Replace Tie Rod End