THIS CAR WILL NOT CRANK???

1986 Chrysler 5th Avenue

Coreyboc2007

March, 5, 2011 AT 7:07 PM

I will start of say thing I have replace the starter and alternator in this car about 6 months ago and already replaced the motor for this car. For odd reason I cranked my car and drove it for about 60 miles makes stop at a few stop at some store but as I arrive to were I was going I turn the car off for less than 10 mintues. When I tried starting the car back up it did not crank back up. However the eletrical systems came on so I was able to turn on the car radio, blow the horn, and had a good extra good battery, so I exchanged the battery to see if it that was the issue but it wasnt. SO how my uncle show me away to turn on the by using a knife as conductor to this black box with plugs that is underneath the hood on the right side of the car what I am guessing its the ignition moduel that the car running for a while. I was told that I need to replace the ignition switch. Which is understandable but is there thing else that I might need to replace besides the switch?

March, 5, 2011 AT 7:19 PM

He may have been jumping the starter relay? Need to be sure tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set. When it refuses to crank, did you try cranking in neutral? Wiring diagram is below.

caradiodoc

March, 5, 2011 AT 7:25 PM

The starter relay, which is probably what you're jumping, is on the left side and has a fat brown wire and red wire. If that relay does not click when you turn the ignition switch to "crank", suspect a defective neutral safety switch.

Coreyboc2007

March, 5, 2011 AT 8:14 PM

Yes I had no problem jumping the car using the starter replay until the ignition switch had stop working

March, 6, 2011 AT 12:45 AM

You can crank the starter even without the ignition switch, but, if other systems don't have ignition feed, it won't run.

Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Starter Replacement