LOUD WHINE/WHISTLE WHEN THE CAR IS IN PARK/NEUTRAL GOES AWAY WHEN IN DRIVE/REVERSE

1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

asteroidgalaxy

August, 26, 2011 AT 3:39 AM

My car all of a sudden is giving a loud whine/whistle when it is in park/neutral. It immediately goes away when placing the car in drive/reverse. The sound gets louder as the RPMs go up.

asteroidgalaxy

August, 26, 2011 AT 3:42 AM

The noise starts about two minutes after the car is running and warmed up. It'll continue (at least 15 min I kept it in park and running) until the car is in drive at which point it immediately goes away.

asteroidgalaxy

August, 26, 2011 AT 4:21 AM

It's not the fans because the fans don't kick on until it gets 180 (about 10 minutes). It'll do this fast high pitched sound for about 5 minutes without the fans running.

asteroidgalaxy

August, 26, 2011 AT 4:24 AM

This is video/audio of the sound without the fans running. This sound started all of sudden. I went weeks without starting the car. I started the car last evening and it ran fine, but I didn't drive it. The second time I started it to actually drive/move the car...it did this and it's been doing it all evening. Below's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I5Y_WGg_H4

August, 26, 2011 AT 12:47 PM

The noise from the video is not very distinctive but based on symptom description, it is most likely a fault with the torque converter/transmission.

It is not possible to diagnose noises over the net and I would sugggest getting a transmission specialist to have a lok at it first.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet