I HAVE A 1985 PONTIAC FIERO 2

1985 Pontiac Fiero

jeffreyjallison

January, 3, 2013 AT 1:03 AM

I have a 1985 Pontiac Fiero 2.8l V6 automatic. I seem to have lost second gear, it revs up real high in first and then bangs into third and you can hear the RPMs drop abruptly. Other than that shifting is fine. I know I have transmission fluid leak somewhere, have had it for a long time but never noticed any problems.

January, 3, 2013 AT 1:50 AM

You have internal issues with either a seal or clutch failure

jeffreyjallison

January, 3, 2013 AT 3:12 AM

Thank you for your response Roy. I do a lot of my repairs on the car myself,
water pump, alternator, brakes. However, I have never worked on an automatic transmission. Is this a job that I should try to do myself or is this too big a job and I should not attempt. It?

January, 3, 2013 AT 11:59 AM

Its a huge job. I would get a bid from a trans shop. Its a lot to do at home considering the cradle has to come out.

matthoward

You have a broken intermediate band or the intermediate apply servo is sticking. Complete overhaul or replacement of the transmission is necessary to remedy this problem. Common problem on GM hydramatics, like the th125c

jeffreyjallison

January, 6, 2013 AT 9:38 AM

As it turns out I was wrong about my 85 Fiero 2.8 l automatic transmission problem. It seems to be stuck in 1st until about 3000 rpms. Then uncomfortably goes into 2nd and 3rd is reached with it's usual ease. What could cause this?