TRANSMISSION EXCEPTING NO GEARS

1985 Jaguar XJS

kfernandes

March, 19, 2012 AT 5:03 PM

I just rebuilt the tranny, because I was only getting reverse.
now I can't get any gears to except.I'm Machanically inclined and not my first tranny rebuild, but i'm stump on not getting any gears.
i'm looking for things I could have over looked. No gears at all is odd to me.

saturntech9

March, 19, 2012 AT 5:20 PM

Have you checked to see what the transmission line pressure is?Thats the first thing I always check.

kfernandes

March, 19, 2012 AT 5:30 PM

I just diconnected the line to see if there was any pressure at all. The one thing that was different in the parts that was changed was the vaccume modulator, the original one was pretty big in comparison to the new one that was sent, I was told that it would be a propblem. Could that be the culprit?

kfernandes

March, 19, 2012 AT 5:32 PM

I dont have a pressure gauge for a line, but there was plenty fluid coming out when I disconnected the line, and I checked both lines.

saturntech9

March, 19, 2012 AT 5:37 PM

We could have enough pressure to squirt fluid all over doesnt mean there is enough to go into gear. The first thing I would check is the actual fluid pressure.I would have checked that even before rebuilding the transmission.

kfernandes

March, 19, 2012 AT 5:55 PM

What tool would I need to check the fluid pressure?
And the clutches in the two packs were fully burned out. Clutches were down to metal.

kfernandes

March, 19, 2012 AT 5:58 PM

Ok, so I will check fluid pressure, what should it read?
If thats turns out to be ok, what would be a "checklist" of things to check before coming back with more questions?

saturntech9

March, 19, 2012 AT 7:34 PM

The clutches could have burned up from low pressure especially since you said all the clutches burned up. There is always a reason why the clutches burn up. You would need a transmission pressure tester kit I bought a nice one from amazon and it was 50 something when I bought it.I will look up the pressures for you.

kfernandes

March, 19, 2012 AT 7:56 PM

Ok, do you know what the pressure should read?

saturntech9

March, 19, 2012 AT 10:07 PM

I posted all the info on how to do the pressure test and where to screw the pressure tester in. Let me know what you find.

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions