1985 Ford F-150 timing chain replacement

JER1979
  • 1985 FORD F-150
Truck died while driving and wouldn't restart. I had fire to every plug and had Just replaced the distributor module so, I was baffled. I had the truck towed to a shop where they told me it was the timing chain and gave me an estimated cost of $600.00 to $650.00. I called some other shops and was told that this is a fair estimate. The issue is: that I only paid $800.00 for the truck and I don't have an additional $650.00 to through at it. This is my only vehicle so I'm kind of stuck. I researched the parts, and I mean everything; the chain, the sprockets, all of the gaskets, a new cover with crank sensor, and water pump total was 238.00. If I opt out of the new cover I can get the parts for about $96.00. Bye the way, the truck ran great before this issue. Now, having told you all of that and not having a Hayes manual handy, do you have to pull the motor to change this out? I have always done my own work, just not internal motor work. If I don't have to pull the motor, I'm positive I can do this. Advice.
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2015 AT 5:37 PM

The engine doesn't have to be removed, but forget the Haynes manual. They don't cover anything electrical and nothing beyond what basic do-it-yourselfers can do. Get a copy of the manufacturer's service manual. You can find them on eBay, and if you're desperate, you don't have to get the manuals for the exact year. The 5.0L engine was the same for a number of years.
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2015 AT 6:04 PM
SORTA HOW/ WHAT DID THEY DO TO DETERMINE IT WAS THE TIMING CHAIN?

HOW LONG HAS THE MODULE BEEN ON?

DID YOU USE HEAT DISSIPATING GREASE UNDER IT WHEN YOU INSTALLED IT?

ALTHOUGH YOUR MODULE IS DIFFERENT, I AND OTHER JEEP BUDDIES HAVE HAD A FEW TRYING EXPERIENCES WITH THE OLDER (BOX TYPE MODULES) EVEN BRAND NEW OUT OF THE BOX WE'VE HAD 'EM FAIL ON THE TEST MACHINE (PRIOR TO PULLING OUR HAIR OUT, ONCE THE "NEW" BUT BAD MODULE WAS INSTALLED, THINKING IT WAS GOOD, WHILE RIPPING THE JEEP APART!) THIS IS WHY I TEST 'EM BEFORE I LEAVE THE STORE!

MAYBE YOU OR OTHERS AIN'T MOVED THE DISTRIBUTOR

DO YOU KNOW HOW TO GET TO TDC? (TOP DEAD CENTER)

WE MIGHT CAN 'SPLAIN IT TO YOU SO YOU CAN SEE IF THE ROTOR BUTTON AIN'T WHERE IT SHOULD BE (LETTING YOU KNOW IF THE CHAIN HAS JUMPED OR NOT)

DOES IT "TRY" TO BUST OFF OR IS IT JUST DOIN' DRY "OVER AND OVERS"?

Wednesday, April 22nd, 2015 AT 7:17 PM
JER1979
The mod is brand new. Had similar no start problems and the new mod fixed it. I did use the grease. When I had the new no start problem I had the mod tested three times. I had fire on all cylinders and good fuel pressure. That's why I took it to the shop. They pulled the tc cover and found the stretched out chain with some links broken. Now they want almost 7bills to fix it. Thought I could do it myself if I don't have to pull the motor.
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2015 AT 7:32 PM
THE MANUALS ARE VERY HELPFUL

IF YOU ADHERE TO WHAT THEY SAY, AND TORQUE YOUR STUFF PROPERLY,

BEINGS THAT THIS IS A TRUCK, IT WILL BE HARDER TO "GET IN THERE" AS WITH MY JEEP

I RECENTLY INSTALLED A CLOYES DOUBLE ROLLER IN MINE (OVER $120, BUT I LIKE IT A LOT, I CAN TELL A DIFFERENCE)

IF YOU GET HUNG UP, JUST RETURN TO THIS THREAD, WE'LL GET NOTIFIED, YOU CAN ALSO SEND PICS OF YOUR TROUBLES!

WE REALLY TRY TO HELP

I FOUND THAT IN THE BEGINNING, GET THE PUPPY AS CLOSE TO TDC AS YOU CAN, BEFORE YOU TEAR INTO IT (CAN ASSIST THERE TOO)

Wednesday, April 22nd, 2015 AT 7:55 PM
SEE HOW EZ THIS IS?

SHOULDA GOT A JEEP!

Wednesday, April 22nd, 2015 AT 7:56 PM
OH YEAH

I STILL HAVE LESS THAN $200 INVOLVED, TIMING SET, GASKETS, CLEANING SUPPLIES, AND PAINT. MAYBE 3 LEISURELY HOURS OF LABOR, AND MAYBE 125 OR SO PICS

Wednesday, April 22nd, 2015 AT 8:05 PM