REAR DRIVE TRAIN

1985 Ford F-150

wildolive

August, 11, 2014 AT 4:06 PM

The rear tire on drivers side will not turn when towed, but when jacked up I can turn the tire by hand, it also will tow in reverse and turns ok

caradiodoc

August, 11, 2014 AT 7:19 PM

When does this occur, or when and how are you checking it? Do you have it in "park"? Both wheels off the ground?

wildolive

August, 16, 2014 AT 12:06 PM

I only have the one tire off ground, and turns in all gears except park, will not turn while towing. While towing I shifted from reverse to nutral to drive to second to first the tire stayed locked, did not try putting in park while I was being towed this is all I did so far.

caradiodoc

August, 16, 2014 AT 8:22 PM

I think I'm missing something here. With it out of park, and with only the left rear tire off the ground, you can rotate it by hand but it wont turn when it's on the ground, is that right? But it will rotate going backward?

What happens when you drive the truck? Do both wheels turn freely then?

The only thing I can think of, if the wheel locks up in one direction when there's weight on it, is a brake shoe return spring is broken. That can allow the front shoe to catch on the drum and self-apply. That will be aggravated by a parking brake cable stuck in the partially-applied position. Ford has had a real big problem with that since the '70s. To identify that, remove that wheel, then slide the drum off. First look at where the two shoes contact the large anchor pin at the top of the backing plate. If either shoe is not tight against that pin, the parking brake cable is not fully released, or there's grooves worn in the backing plate and the shoe is catching on them. Next, look at the strut bar between the middle of the two shoes. You'll see there's an anti-rattle spring on one end. Use your thumb to push that bar forward against that spring. It should move about 1/8". If it is tight and there's no free play, again, the parking brake cable is partially applied.

If the cable isn't rusted tight yet, you can use a pry bar where the cable attaches to the bottom of the parking brake lever, and push that lever back. From then on, don't use the parking brake until the two rear cables are replaced. New cables from Ford, if you can still get them, can develop the same problem within a year. On trucks and full-size vans, the right one gives even more trouble because of the way they routed them. Some go all the way to the rear bumper and then come into the brake assembly from the rear. That's a lot of cable to expect to work freely, and they usually don't.

wildolive

August, 18, 2014 AT 6:31 PM

Thats right it turns when tire, the one tire on driver side is jacked up and turns in all posisitions except park, and goes in reverse ok, if driving the drivers side rear tire does not turn at all, but does in reverse drive ok. I will check out springs on brake shoe, to get back with you, thanks

caradiodoc

August, 18, 2014 AT 7:29 PM

Just so I'm clear, the left rear wheel locks up and the tire skids down the road when you try to drive forward. Is that right? If so, look at those brake shoe return springs and the partially-applied parking brake cable.

wildolive

August, 27, 2014 AT 1:46 PM

Thank you for all your help it was the e brake cable in the drum it was off I really thank you.

caradiodoc

August, 27, 2014 AT 9:15 PM

Dandy. Do you mean it was sticking partially-applied, or it was disconnected from the lever on the brake shoe?

wildolive

August, 30, 2014 AT 6:48 PM

It was disconnected from lever

caradiodoc

August, 30, 2014 AT 10:29 PM

Can't argue with success but that shouldn't have caused the wheel to lock up.

Replace Tie Rod End
Upper Control Arm Replacement
Safely Changing Your Spare Tire