BEST AND MOST AFFORDABLE WAY TO FRESHEN UP MY 9

• jamisu
  • 1985 Dodge Truck
  • automatic
  • 122 miles

Best and most affordable way to freshen up my 9.25 rearend on 4x4 w/ a 12 bolt cover. When placed in drive it clanks, nothing to do with u-join

Monday, September 26th, 2011 AT 10:56 PM

• hmac300

Check your ujoints first, then see if your washers behind the spider gears are worn out. That is a big cause of that.

Monday, September 26th, 2011 AT 11:06 PM
  • jamisu

U-joints are fine. Can and may you give me the instructions on replacing these washers because i'm almost certain these are my problems. Thanks and i'll try donating in the near future.

Monday, October 17th, 2011 AT 8:43 PM
  • hmac300

You will have to get teh gears from the inside of the carrier if it has a pin then remove it and roll the gearsout, take the washers out and replace wih new reassemble

Monday, October 17th, 2011 AT 10:36 PM
  • jamisu

Sounds simple but im sure it isnt. Any special torques I should beware of

Thursday, October 27th, 2011 AT 12:10 AM
  • jamisu

Sounds easy enough anything a beginner should beware of. I heard of such things like backlash, whats the trick to that.

Thursday, October 27th, 2011 AT 12:13 AM
  • hmac300

Backlash is for the ring and pinion and as long as you aren't changing any of htat which you sholdn't be with the gears inside the carrieryou really don'teeven need to take teh ring gear out. But if you start to change teh bearings on the
pinion then you'll have to be concerned with backlash.

Thursday, October 27th, 2011 AT 12:16 AM
  • jamisu

O.K i'll try er. Just tap out the pin and the entire ? What, will just fall out. Is it the gearset that will slide out. After that i'll hammer off the old spider washers and replace with new. Where I wonder would be the best place to purchase these. Thanks expert

Thursday, October 27th, 2011 AT 12:39 AM
  • hmac300

You'll have to see if there is aroll pin or bolt holding the main pin in. It would be best if you went back to the site here and get eth 3 day manual for about $10 copy it and keep it to walk you through the way to do this. You really soundconfused on this.

Thursday, October 27th, 2011 AT 1:26 PM