WHAT WOULD CAUSE THE DISTRIBUTOR NOT TO GET FIRE

• Michael_18
  • 1985 DODGE RAMCHARGER

I put a new ballast resistor in it, but I don't know what else to do.

Thursday, May 10th, 2012 AT 2:19 PM

• CJ MEDEVAC

I DON'T KNOW A LOT ABOUT YOUR RIG.I DO KNOW JEEP CJs AND OLD FORDS WELL

COULD IT BE THE COIL. RE-CHECK AND INSURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT ONE (I'M GUESSING, "FOR USE WITH AN EXTERNAL RESISTOR")

OR NOT GETTING POWER TO IT FROM SOMETHING ALONG THE WAY?

SEE IF YOU HAVE VOLTAGE TO THE POSITIVE SIDE OF THE COIL WITH THE KEY ON AND TELL ME HOW MUCH YOU HAVE

IS THE BALLAST RESISTOR ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT--OR DID YOU ADD IT ON?---IS IT THE CORRECT RESISTANCE? (YOU CANNOT JUST GO BY "LOOKS")

SAME GOES FOR THE BALLAST RESISTOR----TAKE A READING FROM BOTH THE INPUT AND OUTPUT SIDE OF IT

A DIGITAL VOLTMETER FROM AN AUTO PARTS STORE IS LESS THAN $20--ONE FROM "HARBOR FREIGHT" IS LESS THAN $5. IT WILL BE USEFUL ON YOUR VEHICLE, IN YOUR HOUSE, TESTING FLASHLIGHT BATTERIES, LIGHT BULBS, ETC, ETC

I WILL ATTEMPT TO HELP ALL I CAN---OTHERS MAY JUMP IN AND ASSIST ALSO (WATCH FOR A NEW BATTER AT THE PLATE)

YOUR TURN

PICS BELOW ARE OF MY '77 JEEP---CONVERTED TO A '79 IGNITION SYSTEM---I HAD TOO INSTALL A BALLAST RESISTOR SINCE THE '77 SYSTEM DID NOT HAVE A "RESISTANCE WIRE" LIKE A '79 SYSTEM DID

Thursday, May 10th, 2012 AT 2:43 PM