CAR PROBLEMS

1985 AMC Eagle

GreatBear420

March, 21, 2011 AT 10:10 PM

Thanks for the info, I got her running but now when I turn her on the oil indicator comes on and she starts knocking real bad and then shut off. Any ideas on what is causing that

March, 21, 2011 AT 10:46 PM

Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge to rule out the oil pump and engine bearings-could be clogged/sludged-up-somewhere stopping the flow

GreatBear420

March, 21, 2011 AT 10:50 PM

Ok thanks I'll try that.

March, 22, 2011 AT 10:14 PM

Saw your other post, Is this puppy running smooth with the knocking, or is it running awful, like the distributor is not in right? No fear, we can give you some step by step (hold your hand) distributor installation instructions and Real 258 Pics too.--The Medic

GreatBear420

March, 23, 2011 AT 9:53 AM

No the knocking isn't do to the distributor, it was put in right. I checked the oil and it looks burned and I've already had 2 people say that it sounds like the oil pump. But thanks anyway.

March, 23, 2011 AT 3:06 PM

Well since you are having the oil pump issue, why don't you snatch the distributor back out once more and "Gander" In at it. The oil pump shaft is just a rod with a slot cut into it, "guessing" 1/2"-3/4" deep slot cut across it (which the screwdriver point of the distributor fits in) I had one shell off both "ears" (either side of the slot) We could not find what locked up the pump, as to make it break like that. When I pulled the distributor (EZer than the pan, for a look) I was able to shove a magnet down in there and pick up the 2 pieces (Which at a glance, looked fine, on either side of the hole) I do recommend you install a HIGH VOLUME OIL PUMP WHEN YOU DO REINSTALL, it does cost a bit more, but not a lot, Oil Pressure has never been a problem, with any of mine, You can thank me later! If you are unable to find the part number for one, I have a new one out in my stuff somewhere, that I may can get the number from. Found it! Melling M-81 AHV-S3 Got it in 1998 From Autozone, the receipt (1 year) was still in my warranty/ lifetime warranty notebook. It was $96.92 (I'm sure it's a bit more now) Nearly Everything on my Jeep has a Lifetime warranty (they honor them too, for instance, alternator 1989, replaced several times, the receipt is unlike any they have seen [old, original stuff], they really want to keep it, but I won't give it up!, I keep the receipts (copy the thermal ones, staple to the fading paper) They never are able to hit me with "We have no Record", cause I do!--Let me know if I can keep-a-helpin', this is what I live for at this site---Jeep Interaction!--The Medic

Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
 Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Tundra
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions