CAR OVERHEATING

1984 Volvo 760

cantrim70

January, 13, 2011 AT 6:06 AM

I have a 1984 volvo turbo gle 6 cylindar I have just had several repairs and replaced a hose. But my car is overheating again. Only this time steam came in through the vents in my car. Before it was only under the hood. Please help! Can't afford to go to dealership to costly!

Dr. Hagerty

January, 13, 2011 AT 6:52 AM

Starting with the last repairs performed, was there a warranty included on those repairs? Then I would ask if you know what is wrong, why is there steam coming through the vents? To have answers for those 2 questions would certainly help me to help you.

cantrim70

January, 13, 2011 AT 7:06 AM

I replaced 4 belts one hose new water pump and thermostat new brakes and just passed smog. Nothing in warranty! I don't know why the steam is coming out however I did notice water coming from the engine side by where the glove capartment would be. There is a small hole with water coming out I am not sure if there was a plug there or if something is broken. I have never seen it before now. The car overheated in the past but never have I seen steam come into the car from the vents until tonight.

Dr. Hagerty

January, 13, 2011 AT 7:11 AM

There is a heater core in there, it is compromised. It will require replacement.

cantrim70

January, 13, 2011 AT 7:20 AM

I'm not sure! I only know a little about cars to get by! I heard that a heater core replacement is rather expensive is that true? I have put so much in this car. I just really like it! But now I have had a lot of problems lately I don't know how much more I can sink into this old of a car. Someone told me that a heater core can be bypassed and the car will still work you just can't use your defrost? Is that making any sense to you? Have you ever heard of that?

cantrim70

January, 13, 2011 AT 7:22 AM

I appreciate your time and input! Thank you Christine

Dr. Hagerty

January, 13, 2011 AT 7:28 AM

It is expensive, and it is not an easy job. I used to work with some really good Volvo guys and they did not like that job. As to the bypass issue, just follow the hoses that carry the hot coolant to the heater core and join them together in the engine bay, viola, bypass surgery. There will be no defrost and that could be unsafe my friend, beware.

cantrim70

January, 13, 2011 AT 7:38 AM

Thank you for that information! I lady was going by my car when she saw what my car was doing she said that's what happened to my car last month it was a heater core. The company bypassed her heater core she is a senior lady I better advise her it may be unsafe. Thank you very much for your time I guess I will have to take it in tomorrow. I thought if it was something little I may be able to handle it. Not sure about this one? Thanks again Christine : )

Dr. Hagerty

January, 13, 2011 AT 7:41 AM

Sorry if I brought you bad news. If we can be of service, please feel free to ask. Dr. Hagerty

cantrim70

January, 13, 2011 AT 8:01 AM

Thanks! I shall see what tomorrow brings! Thanks for your help! This was very helpful I feel more comfortable taking the car in now. Thanks again! Christine

Dr. Hagerty

You are welcome

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser