3

1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass

cindyorr

November, 20, 2011 AT 4:21 AM

3.8 v6 motor how to replace rear main seal

saturntech9

November, 20, 2011 AT 5:36 AM

Its a two piece seal so you can remove the oil pan and go thru the bottom they sell a tool for installing them. Its a cable that pulls the seal thru.

cindyorr

November, 20, 2011 AT 6:13 AM

Yah thats a rope type right, I tried to put a two pieace neopream one in today didnt know proper way to get it up around the crank shaft, got old one out but couldnt get new one in top half. Wroned that half, now I here I should have turned the crank ny hand and that would have pulled it around. So I guess I will try to find auto part store that has rope type.

saturntech9

November, 20, 2011 AT 6:26 AM

There is also a tool that works well to pull it around they should have at the auto parts store. Its a cable with a handle thats what I have used in the past to put them in. Also make sure you lube the seal up the neoprene seals work well with lube and the tool.

cindyorr

November, 20, 2011 AT 6:58 AM

SO YOU DONT KNOW ABOUT HAND TURNING THE CRANK TO TURN IT IN AND AROUND THE CRANK AFTER U GET THE SEAL STARTED BY HAND?

cindyorr

November, 20, 2011 AT 7:18 AM

MY 84 OLDS HAS A GRIP OF MILES ON IT. BUT THE MAIN BEARING LOOKED REALLY GOOD CONSIDERING ALL THE MILES AND I HAVE REPLACED EVERY EXTERNAL PART ON THE CAR OVER TIME BUT RECENTLY IT JUMPED TIMING CHAIM BUT IT STILL RUNS AFTER I DO THIS REAR SEAL I KNOW I SHOULD DO THE CHAIN AND GEAR BUT I WONDER HOW LONG IT MIGHT LAST THE WAY IT IS CAUSE I DONT HAVE MONEY NOW

saturntech9

November, 20, 2011 AT 7:34 AM

Yes I have turned the crank to pull it around before sometimes the seals dont always go in the way you would like them to. As far as the timing chain goes once they start jumping they keep jumping.

saturntech9

November, 20, 2011 AT 7:37 AM

Untill the engine no longer runs they usually jump from worn teeth on the sprocket. If you can do the work yourself the timing kits arent that expensive. There is no telling how long it will run its also hard on the engine running it out of time like that.

cindyorr

November, 20, 2011 AT 8:08 AM

I APPRECEATE all ur feed back as for my car out of time yes it is 80 out acording to were the distributer useto be. I have done a chain and gear before that can out fine on my 66 malibu wish I still had that car cops got it, but thanks again on the help with rear seal I will look for puller and rope kind in morning. And I will remember 2carpros next time I need help. Thanks saturntech9 good nite. Have a Happy Thanks Giving

saturntech9

November, 20, 2011 AT 3:59 PM

Your welcome thats what were here for you have a happy thanksgiving as well.

Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet