DIESEL STARTING PROBLEMS

1984 GMC Sierra

jmhambright

August, 24, 2011 AT 1:20 AM

We have a 1984 gmc sierra classic 6.2l diesel when we can get it to run it smoke badly, but the problem we have it getting it to start we have put new diesel in it replaced the glow plugs, the glow plug controller, the alternator, the thing that looks like a solenoid but controls the glow plugs, both batteries twice now and used starting fluid and we cannot get it to start, also the batteries got hot last time we tried to start the truck and we then took the batteries in and replaced them both because they both had hardly any charge on them and no cold cranking amps. Could you please help us if possible. Thank you, J

mhpautos

August, 25, 2011 AT 7:45 AM

What colour is the smoke? Black or white?

jmhambright

August, 25, 2011 AT 6:49 PM

The smoke is whitish gray

mhpautos

August, 25, 2011 AT 10:31 PM

This can be due to low compressions causing incomplete combustion, do a compression test.

jmhambright

August, 26, 2011 AT 12:08 AM

If I could get it to run I will do that do you have any idea by I cant get it started by the description I gave you.

mhpautos

August, 26, 2011 AT 2:32 AM

A diesel will not start with low compressions, these are compression ignition engines, they rely on good compression to fire and run.

jmhambright

August, 26, 2011 AT 3:18 AM

Ok now I understand, what can I do besides the compression test to fix this problem does this mean my engine needs to be overhauled or replaced if it is showing low compression after the test.

mhpautos

August, 26, 2011 AT 8:05 AM

Lets see what the comp test shows, then we can decide on what the next step is.

jmhambright

August, 26, 2011 AT 5:42 PM

Ok thx

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right