OIL LEAK

1984 GMC Jimmy

etsuchick86

March, 28, 2011 AT 10:27 PM

I have a 84 GMC Jimmy with a heavy Oil leak. I've done replaced the rear main seal, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets, and its still leaking. What else besides the front main seal could it be?

Oil Leak From Engine

caradiodoc

March, 28, 2011 AT 11:08 PM

None of the things you listed will leak real fast. For fast leaks suspect the oil pressure sending unit or the rubber gasket under the oil filter. The gaskets you replaced will typically cause a small spot under the engine where you park, not big puddles. Look for the highest place you find oil on the engine. There is also dye that can be added to the oil after washing the outside of the engine. After driving far enough to make the leak show up, you search with a black light. The dye will appear as a bright yellow stain.

etsuchick86

March, 31, 2011 AT 3:14 AM

Thanks so much! I had checked the sending unit it seemed to be fine, but I will check again. I will try the dye nexted what is it called?

caradiodoc

March, 31, 2011 AT 3:30 AM

It doesn't have a special name that I'm aware of. If you tell the people at the auto parts store what you're trying to do, they will find the product. The bottle is only about an inch in diameter and about two and a half inches tall. The liquid is dark purple. When you search with a black light, it will show up bright yellow.

etsuchick86

April, 1, 2011 AT 2:45 AM

Yea I got the dye today, and going to try it tomorrow. : ) Thanks

edmora

August, 15, 2014 AT 4:34 PM

I own a 1986 gmc jimmy 4x4 and it is currently leaking oil but I don't know how to locate the leak. Any tips?

Removing Stripped Drain Plug
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Replace Oil Pressure Sensor
Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front