CANNOT GET THE TRUCK TO START WITH THE KEY BUT ...

1984 Dodge Ram

Anonymous

December, 14, 2012 AT 7:52 PM

Cannot get the truck to start with the key but if I cross the ignition the engine will crank but will not start. What could the problem be this has me confused.

caradiodoc

December, 14, 2012 AT 8:03 PM

First of all, what's the symptom? "Doesn't start" can mean a dozen different things. What are you "crossing"?

cherylblumenstein

December, 14, 2012 AT 8:14 PM

My boyfriend is crossing the ignition switch, when he does that the truck will start. The truck will not start if we use the key

Jacobandnickolas

December, 14, 2012 AT 8:43 PM

Chances are the ignition switch itself is bad. That is what I would check first.

cherylblumenstein

December, 14, 2012 AT 11:37 PM

We have replaced the ignition switch twice and the truck still will not start with the key. Everyone I have talked to says that there is a starter selonoid relay switch that may be bad, so my question now is where would the starter selonoid relay switch be on my 1984 Dodge?

Jacobandnickolas

December, 14, 2012 AT 11:42 PM

There should be a power distribution box under the hood that holds relays. That is where it should be.

caradiodoc

December, 15, 2012 AT 2:18 AM

There's no need to go looking for anything else if he's connecting two wires right at the ignition switch. You know everything else is working because it cranks. That switch is adjustable and it's likely misadjusted so it's not moving far enough.

Also, look at the old switch for signs of blackened or overheated terminals. Of there are, you'll find the same thing in the connector's terminals. Those will need to be changed. If the connector body is melted, the terminals can be cut out and replaced and plugged in individually.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe