Did you create a big ole spark, 'cause maybe you left the battery connected?
Check fusible links, sorta a "wire fuse" on wires---usually if they are burned, you may sometimes see a melty looking insulation, another way to check 'em is to tug on 'em, if they stretch out like a rubber band...replace it with one rated the same.
Other possibility is your connections at the starter need cleaning, tightened well, POSITIVELY on the correct terminals!
This link has information about my JEEP CJS, they use a Ford Solenoid system. At the bottom of this post is EXAMPLES of Fusible Links---They might be found at different places on your vehicle...Imma a Jeep Guy, I do not know much about your vehicle's electric system....This is just an example!
Saturday, August 6th, 2011 AT 7:11 PM