CAN I ADJUST CLOSER TO THE PUSH ROD?

1984 BMW 733i

hmfndr

August, 31, 2011 AT 12:14 AM

My 733i ticks, its in the first bank. I had the valves adjusted and still it ticks. I was told it might be cam scarring or worn push rod. Can I adjust the valve closer or just replace that banks pushrods.

Jacobandnickolas

August, 31, 2011 AT 1:58 AM

You could try to adjust it more, but you need to maintain factory clearance. If you make it too tight, the valve could leak compression causing a miss. If the shop adjusted them, chances are it could be a cam issue.

hmfndr

August, 31, 2011 AT 2:41 AM

The shop adjusted it to spec, I guess.013.
Here is what I was sent.

"The stems get a concave shape and have a void where the feeler gauge can't fit.

You adjust them to.012" and still have noise. Use a stick or long screwdriver against your ear and listen on top of the valve cover over each valve location.

You should hear which valves are noisy. Now, adjust the noisy valves between the cam and rocker at.012". Noise should go away."

Wouldnt it be easier to replace the pushrods to see if it stops? The shop said they saw no damage but I dont know how close they looked. I am just looking for the easiest, cheapest way I can do it myself. Thanks.

Jacobandnickolas

August, 31, 2011 AT 7:59 PM

I would try to adjust first. They could have left one looose.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars